Oh ! ⚡️Sewing the Frau Josy top (Studio Schnittreif)
Bis repetita squared (!) This is the 2nd time I have sewed the Frau Josy top and the 2nd top in that Oh⚡️ jersey fabric. If you follow a little, this fabric should remind you of something … 😉
The keyword of this project is therefore “profitability”.
|Patron Mme Josy de Fritzi||Makerist (promo 2€)||0 €|
|Jersey bio marine & or Hamburger Liebe (chutes)||Tissus.net||< 1 m||0 €|
|Chutes lamées dorées (merci @Selenz)||0,2 m||0 €|
|Passepoil doré||Mercerie Extra||0,5 m||0,30 €|
|Fil doré Mettler||Stock||—||0 €|
The Frau Josy pattern
The Frau Josy top is a pattern for jersey fabric, with raglan cap sleeves and a round neckline.
The cut of the t-shirt is fitted but not tight.
I reread my 2018 article on the Frau Josy top, first of the name (My! Time flies my friends), and I reiterate my disappointment with the pattern drawn by hand without the possibility of choosing layers.
That said, it comes along quite easily.
Certain pieces not having exactly the same length at the assembly seam but it is intentional I think to help to shape the seams. And it is very easy to sew with the elasticity of the jersey.
It really confirms that Germans are specialists in jersey patterns.
Sewing the Frau Josy top
Once my Marlene top sewn into this very pretty jersey, I noticed that I still had quite a lot of fabric on my initial 1.20 m.
So I scoured my pattern stash in search of a jersey top not too greedy in fabric … And that’s it! Marlene’s little sister, Josy seemed to do the job well.
Officially the pattern needs 85 cm of fabric. I think it is in reality, in size M, around 65-70 cm.
This top was quickly sewn since I took my size M pieces cut 1 year and a half ago.
Once the fabric was cut, I decided to use the wrong side of the fabric of the sleeves to contrast.
I do not know why but with the raglan sleeves, I can’t help it!
And even, I was ambitious but I also cut a Malicieuse briefs by Etoffe Malicieuse.
This is why I made some adaptations according to my remaining fabric:
- no sleeve bands to the cap sleeves
- no neckband
Since the neckline is largely wide enough to let pass 3 heads, I was able to finish it with a classic piping, not stretchy for one bit.
I had already done this on my Kommatia bat dress but I had the impression of breaking the rules …
However, recently Rachel, a professional seamstress has published a tutorial on her Instagram account to show how to apply a bias on a jersey t-shirt neckline. AH! So I was not a heretic;)
This tutorial makes me vaguely dream of having an industrial machine every time I watch it. But whatever.
And it also reminds me that I would like tips and teachers of this caliber at Artesane (a french Craftsy).
Anyway. End of digression.
Otherwise, I really exhausted the very last of the golden lurex remnant Selenz gave me with a small rectangular pocket.
Finally, a photo of my hairless underarm to show you the simple hem made with the covering machine for the armholes. Only possible because I did not sew the cuffs.
On the version with reverse, this is the place that I find delicate. Besides, it unravels a little on my 1st version of the Frau Josy top.
Here is a back of a top with raglan sleeves that does not make me the shoulders of an Olympic swimmer (a status that would be totally usurped by the way … I can only swim breaststroke).
As I noted the first time, this pattern will most likely experience multiple iterations. It consumes little fabric. In addition, I find it both very fitting in its cut and very practical & fun to play with fabrics.
Note for the curious: the straps that appear on the photo above belong to a Bohème bra of Étoffe Malicieuse (article to come in not too long).